Painting The Background of "Couple In Costume At Balboa Park Centennial" In Acrylics
The following is a repost from my wordpress blog.
Above is a photo showing the finished background of my latest painting. In this post, I'm going to tell you all about how I painted it.
I didn't make things like the fence in the upper left hand corner or the leaves on the other side very detailed. You'll see that I painted the foliage as random shapes. That's because I wanted to create depth and if every part of the painting has the same amount of detail, it looks very flat. I used dots of white in the leaves, also, to create the look of the sun reflecting on them.
There's also use of the glazing technique, which is applying sheer washes of color over another, in this painting. I glazed burnt umber over the grey to the right of the tree branch and purple over the building behind the couple.
I was very happy with how the overhang came out. I used a combination of cureulean blue plus ultramarine for the shadows and I could see that my underpainting was causing the different tones to show through even before I added the shadows.
That's it for now. I'll see you guys next time.
Painting "Man With A Violin"
I finished a new piece! This is an 11×14 acrylic on belgian linen titled “Man With A Violin”. My reference photo came from paint-my-photo.net.
Painter of portraits and wildlife